Tuesday, February 3, 2015

day no. 13,252: the encouragement of Christ

Matthew 14:27

But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here!


Those are 3 concise and comforting statements that we need to hear often from Jesus and they build upon each other.

1. Don't Be Afraid

Are you tempted to be afraid very often? I am. There are any number of things that can scare me on any given day. Jesus says, "Don't be afraid!"

I'd love to spend my days less consumed by tiny fears, but it isn't as easy as merely being disciplined enough to not give in to fear.

2. Take Courage

Don't just put off fear and cowardice, put on courage. 

Gird yourself and go forward.

OK, again, I'd love to be less scared and more brave.  I don't think I'm alone in that desire.

But it isn't as simple as being brave enough to avoid giving in to fear and smart enough to be brave instead of scared.

3. I Am Here.

The third statement is the most powerful and makes sense out of the first two statements.

Because He is here, I don't have to be afraid.

Because He is here, I can be brave.

Because He is here, the many times I have been afraid and cowardly are forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment