Monday, June 9, 2014

day no. 13,013: the proverbial Gospel‏

Proverbs 30:7-9
Two things I ask of You;don’t deny them to me before I die:Keep falsehood and deceitful words far from me.Give me neither poverty nor wealth;feed me with the food I need.Otherwise, I might have too muchand deny You, saying, “Who is the Lord?”or I might have nothing and steal,profaning the name of my God.
When we think we’re getting it done without providence, we grow proud and unwilling or unable to see ourselves as needy and dependent upon God our Creator and Sustainer.
When we think we’re failing in every way imaginable without grace, we grow despairing and unwilling or unable to see ourselves as holy and blameless because of His finished work on our behalf. 
If I’m proud, I will go down.If I’m depressed, I will refuse to be lifted up.
When I’m feeling like I got things together, I’m quick to deny any practical need for God’s grace in my daily life.  I am less likely to point others to their need for Him other than by exalting my example so high as to make others feel incapable of obtaining such favor as I’ve acquired: a favor unavailable to sinners and failures like the rest of y'all. 
When I’m feeling like I’m all out of sorts, I’m quick to revel in lawlessness since I’m already a lawbreaker.  I am less likely to point others to the availability of God by grace through faith in Jesus Christ’s accomplishments.  I am not prepared to proclaim His grace because I’m quick to ignore its power over me, a sinner.
Without Jesus we cannot endure success OR failure without wandering off the narrow path. 
Do not ignore God’s grace by seeking to demonstrate that you have it all together.
Do not profane God’s grace by seeking to indulge your flesh since your record is already blemished.

Do not give me too much. 

Do not give me too little.

 

Give me what I need. 

This is my plea.


No comments:

Post a Comment