Tuesday, March 27, 2012

C.H. Spurgeon's "Defense of Calvinism"

In researching Mr. C.H. Spurgeon I came across this gem the other day:

http://www.spurgeon.org/calvinis.htm

Here is an excerpt:

“John Newton used to tell a whimsical story, and laugh at it, too, of a good woman who said, in order to prove the doctrine of election, "Ah! sir, the Lord must have loved me before I was born, or else He would not have seen anything in me to love afterwards." I am sure it is true in my case; I believe the doctrine of election, because I am quite certain that, if God had not chosen me, I should never have chosen Him; and I am sure He chose me before I was born, or else He never would have chosen me afterwards; and He must have elected me for reasons unknown to me, for I never could find any reason in myself why He should have looked upon me with special love. So I am forced to accept that great Biblical doctrine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment