Monday, April 15, 2024

day no. 16,611: Juniper is FIVE

Happy Birthday, Juniper Elise!

You are FIVE years old today. It seems like it was just yesterday that you were toddling down the hall to grab my legs and say, "Hi" when I came out of my bedroom during work hours to get some coffee or to go outside for a walk. Wait a minute, that wasn't yesterday, that was earlier this morning! You have always been excited to see me and sad to see me go. You are, to be fair, the first Van Voorst to grow up with me working down the hall for most of your life. I was sent home from Shelter before you turned one and I've been working from our home ever since. It's been fun being able to watch you grow up every step of the way.

You are a creature of habit and your habits are hilarious. Every morning, you ask me to let you know when I'm going to leave for my walk so that you can be the last to hug me and wave out the window to me. Every afternoon, you ask me to tuck in for your nap. You always ask to have the closet door opened (so Michael Meyers can't get you), the salt lamp turned on, and to remind me to ask mom what's for dinner. Every time you need someone to wipe you, you call out, "Can somebody please wipe me!" Every day you ask me to throw you up as high as I can and every time I do, you ask me to do it again. Every time you're on a swing set, you ask me to push you and say, "More, faster! More, faster!" Every Sunday you ask to sit on my lip during service and are sad when I ask you to wait until I'm done taking notes. Every week after service you make multiple trips to the treat table. Every time you sing, you bring us down a full octave... in a good way! You are so much fun and I can always depend on you to be you. You are Juni through and through, just the way God made you.

You like Sting from WWE... except for when you don't. Sometimes you want to paint your face like him and sometimes you're scared he's going to come into your room at night. Sometimes he's your hero. Sometimes he's your nightmare. Sometimes you forget that he's a good guy and on our side. Sometimes you believe me when I remind you. Sometimes... you don't.

You have a great run. Your little legs get moving and you get to huffing and puffing. You also have a blast riding your bike in the road. You always ask and you always end up in our neighbor’s driveway doing donuts. 

You love your sisters and spend most of your time either playing with Lissy, fighting with Lissy, or harassing Oey. It's a good life.

You are a one of kind and I'm so glad that you are my daughter. I love you and I like you and I am excited to see what God has in store for you this year.

Here's to you JuneBug, Happy Birthday!

Love,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment