Monday, January 30, 2023

day no. 16,170: perfect pens and imperfect men

2 Peter 1:21
For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Was the Bible written by God or by men? Yes.

Holy men inspired by the Holy Spirit wrote the Bible.

One catechism asks and answers it this way:

Q. 14. Where do you learn how to love and obey God?
A. In the Bible alone.

Q. 15. Who wrote the Bible?
A. Holy men who were taught by the Holy Spirit.

How can unreliable, imperfect men write reliable, perfect words?
The same way unreliable, imperfect men do anything which isn't in vain... by relying upon the Lord.

Psalm 127:1
Except the Lord build the house,
they labour in vain that build it.

The point is clearly made: laboring without the Lord is ludicrous, but the inverse is also true -- labor for the Lord will last.

1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

Unreliable men can write reliable words, e.g. two plus two equals four. That is reliable, but typed by yours truly, an unreliable man. I am an imperfect, but that is perfectly true. Even more to the point, saying, "I am an imperfect man," is perfectly true. I have it on good authority. I've looked in a mirror, but I've also seen my reflection in the pool of God's Word. So, you ought to believe me when I say, "I'm imperfect." You shouldn't doubt my imperfection simply because I could be wrong. And if that is to taken as Gospel truth, how much more so the actual Gospel truth. And amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment