Thursday, December 15, 2022

day no. 16,124 continued... a man without walls

Proverbs 25:28
He that hath no rule over his own spirit
is like a city that is broken down,
and without walls.

A city without walls is incapable of defending itself. A country without border control is incapable of remaining a country. To free the boards from the frame is to destroy the home. You do not liberate the pool by poking holes in its walls. To deliver the maze from its walls is to destroy the maze. 

A city is defined by its city limits. A country is defined by its borders. To remove either is to destroy both.

So too a person must be able to defend his borders. He must be given the freedom to discern what gets in and what gets out. If a person is not permitted to have security in his physical person, he is not free.

2 Chronicles 32:5
Also he strengthened himself, and built up all the wall that was broken, and raised it up to the towers, and another wall without, and repaired Millo in the city of David, and made darts and shields in abundance.

Broken down walls must be rebuilt in order to have a city. Without a system of defense, you do not have a defined place. A city without walls is no longer a city. It is indistinguishable from the wilderness to the east.

Nehemiah 1:3
And they said unto me, The remnant that are left of the captivity there in the province are in great affliction and reproach: the wall of Jerusalem also is broken down, and the gates thereof are burned with fire.

Walls define cities, nations, and persons. 

A man must be permitted to exercise self-control. If you take away his walls, he is vulnerable to penetration by whoever or whatever comes along. My skin is my outer limit and I must be permitted to decide who and what gets into me and what is extracted from me. If I am not allowed to decide for myself what goes into me and what is taken out of me, there is no "me" left. I am whatever someone else wants me to be. But that's just another way of saying, "you."If I can be added to our subtracted from without my permission, I am merely clay in their hands, but no man has permission to place others on the wheel of his imagined moral superiority. Only God can sit in the place of the Potter. In His hands alone is clay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment