Wednesday, May 25, 2022

day no. 15,920: ...and justice for all

If God be just, I, a sinner, alone and without a substitute, must be punished; but Jesus stands in my stead and is punished for me; and now, if God be just, I, a sinner, standing in Christ, can never be punished.” -- Charles Haddon Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

Everyone will get justice. There is no injustice with God. No one will get short-changed. No one will receive less than what they deserve. And if we get what we deserve, we get more than we can handle; but because Jesus handled everything we deserve, we get more than we can imagine. Those who want their wages will be paid in full. Those who want God's mercy will have their debts paid in full.

My hope lives not because I am not a sinner, but because I am a sinner for whom Christ died; my trust is not that I am holy, but that being unholy, he is my righteousness. My faith rests not upon what I am, or shall be, or feel, or know, but in what Christ is, in what he has done, and in what he is now doing for me.” -- Charles Haddon Spurgeon, Morning and Evening

If it were not for Christ, God being just would be bad news for the unjust. And since by His standards, all have fallen short, everyone would have reason to mourn the fact of God's immutable justice. But because of Christ, God's justice is satisfied, His unchanging commitment to justice is our confidence. I can live in boldness knowing that Jesus has paid my fine and will reward me according to His wages, not mine. My confidence is Christ's accomplishments and His Father's commitment to honoring His promises to keep His Word that never, ever changes.

Romans 3:21-26
But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it—  the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction:  for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,  and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,  whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment