Tuesday, April 19, 2022

day no. 15,884: for whom and why for

And Alfred answered, drinking,
And gravely, without blame,
"Nor bear I boast of scald or king,
 The thing I bear is a lesser thing,
 But comes in a better name.

Out of the mouth of the Mother of God,
 More than the doors of doom,
 I call the muster of Wessex men
 From grassy hamlet or ditch or den,
 To break and be broken, God knows when,
 But I have seen for whom.

Out of the mouth of the Mother of God
 Like a little word come I;
 For I go gathering Christian men
 From sunken paving and ford and fen,
 To die in a battle, God knows when,
 By God, but I know why."
-- G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse

God calls men from every corner to come and die.  He knows when and He knows why. Those who respond assemble under the banner of God bearing the sign of His cross. They go off to die, they know not when, but by God, they know why.

God tells us for whom and why for and expects us to leave why then and what now to Him.

Deuteronomy 29:29
The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

No comments:

Post a Comment