Wednesday, January 28, 2015

day no. 13,246: zephaniah's closing comfort‏

Zephaniah 3:16-17
16  On that day it will be said to Jerusalem:
“Do not fear;
Zion, do not let your hands grow weak.
17  Yahweh your God is among you,
a warrior who saves.
He will rejoice over you with gladness.
He will bring you quietness with His love.
He will delight in you with shouts of joy.”

What a comfort to read these words the other morning.

"Do not fear."

I fear sometimes. I worry about the future. I worry that I'm not enough. I worry that I don't believe enough. I worry that Jesus saves some, but not people like me.

"Do not let your hands grow weak."

I am often tired. I feel worn out. My feeble hands cramp. They carry the weight for only so long. They can't do what I wish and they often do what I darkly, deeply desire.

"Yahweh, your God is among you."

This, in itself, is not particularly comforting.  Reflecting upon the sentiments above, you can see why a holy God's nearness would be terrifying rather than comforting.

However...

"A warrior who saves."

He saves weak, feeble, tired, grumpy, grouchy, worried, fearful, timid, pathetic people like me.

He is a warrior where I am a weakling.
He is a Savior where I am a captive.
He is merciful where I am a rebel.

"He will bring you quietness with His love."

My noisy thoughts need quieting.

His love brings peace and quiet.

The fact that we, who require so much work, are such a delight and joy to Him who works and wars on our behalf is startling.

It is unnerving.
It seems unreal.
Over the top.
Too much.

And it is.

But it is true.
It is Who He is.

Revelation 19:11
Then I saw heaven opened, and there was a white horse. Its rider is called Faithful and True, and He judges and makes war in righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment