Thursday, July 30, 2026

day no. 17,447: adjectival affections

"I don’t want my faith to be deeply American. I want America to be deeply Christian." — Douglas Wilson, Darryl Hart, the Wall Street Journal, and the First Person Singular Pronoun in the Objective Case

Ordered affections require adjectives. It is a question of what is substantive and what is descriptive. Are you an American who has faith or are you a Christian who in America? Do you want American flavored Christianity or do you want Christian flavored America. Jesus commands us to disciple the nations. In order for them to remain nations, they will retain some sense of nationality. That means you will have French flavored Christians and Chinese flavored Christians, but the Christianity will be the constant. The nationalities bend and bow to Christ and die to themselves. Each has a treasure to offer their King, but all have the same King. Christianity does not bow to cultures, cultures conform to Christ. He is the constant, the arche, the One to Whom all things are being drawn, and to Whom all things will submit.

I love America and I love Christ and because I love Christ, I love Him before and more than America. I would rather see something American die in order to be more like Christ than to see anything Christian compromised in order to exist in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment